Candy and pet food conglomerate Mars is buying veterinary hospital operator VCA for $7.7-billion in a deal that will give the maker of Pedigree pet food an even bigger share of the $4-billion global pet healthcare market.
PepsiCo recently revealed a new global corporate agenda that emphasises health and social accountability. PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi and chief scientist Mehmood Khan (pictured) are committed to working toward progress in health and sustainability.
At a time when even the most routine of ingredients is required to have a “clean” aura, giant starch ingredients group, Ingredion, has agreed to acquire texture company TIC Gums, which supplies advanced clean-label texture systems gums to the food and beverage industry, for $400-million.
“Nature is not good to human beings,” says Peter Brabeck-Letmathe, the outgoing chairman of the world's largest food company. He has staked his flag, casting Nestlé — with its $88.8 billion in annual revenue — not as the purveyor of natural foods or conveniently-available snacks, but as the vessel to deliver a new, scientifically engineered Garden of Eden.
World Action on Salt and Health (WASH) is calling for all breakfast cereal manufacturers to universally reduce salt and sugar content after a global cereal study revealed major differences found in the same branded breakfast cereals sold around the world.
More Articles ...
- Health-focused Nestlé will always be home to KitKat: chairman
- The global avocado craze
- US meat leader invests in a plant protein-based company
- US FDA's mission impossible: In search of consensus on 'natural' and 'healthy' labels
- Massive agribusiness deal: Bayer clinches Monsanto for $66-billion
- Uncovering how the sugar industry shifted blame to fat
- UK childhood obesity plan: attacked as 'weak' and 'watered down'
- China's food scandals give rise to army of Australian shoppers