Latest SA News
Diversified investment group, Remgro seems to be building an appetite for specialised food businesses - and it's now snapped up a 30% stake in Dynamic Commodities, the Port Elizabeth-based producer and exporter of frozen fruit-based delicacies.
One of South Africa's long and leading lights in food science and the food industry, Dr Pieter van Twisk, has passed away following complications from surgery, the SA Association for Food Science and Technology (SAAFoST) has announced.
SA Treasury's proposed sugar tax has a laudable objective, but as it stands, the tax is "unwieldy, it will be near impossible to police and, critically, would do little to target hidden sugars in many of the other foods we consume". Some cogent comment from David Drew, CCO of Boxmore Packaging, a supplier to the beverage industry, as D-Day for public comments on the tax approaches.
You are what you eat – even if you’re a lamb grazing on fragrant plants in the Karoo. Stellenbosch University student Sarah Erasmus has just released scientific evidence proving that the unique taste of Karoo lamb comes from the vegetation on which the animals feed.
More Articles ...
- SA's great chicken rip-off
- Countdown to fdt-Africa 2016 expo
- New from ProCert Southern Africa - IFS certification by local auditor
- Pioneer buys UK fruity snack food company
- Tiger Brands sharpening its claws
- UCT's Jacques Rousseau talks on food sensationalism and pseudoscience at IFT 2016
- SA's choc market: smaller gets bigger
- Food Explorer #10: A South African food scientist explores famine and flavour in Ireland