Awareness of resveratrol and its potential health benefits is relatively long-established, but with increasing consumer interest in health and the growing body of research being carried out into its role and efficacy, its use is starting to move out of the specialist dietetic market and more into the mainstream.
Food Trends 2012
Chia Pets or the 'the pottery that grows' have long been popular in America. Mixing chia seeds and water on the outside of an animal-shaped terra-cotta figurine produces a plant resembling green hair almost overnight. Now, chia is having a second life as a nutritional 'it' item.
“Food has moved from physical necessity to the epicentre of constant attention through media, public opinion, and status,” write the researchers behind , a study of emerging food culture in European countries. “It has taken over the Western world, past the point of hype or trend and become a social obsession. Suddenly, everything is about food!”
More Articles ...
- Move over tea and coffee, here comes brewing cocoa
- The unexpected evolution of dessert
- US: Eating alone is the new normal
- How the Western World eats today
- Clean label choices driving confectionery innovation
- Soaring sales in the West for another super-premium Asian drink
- Genius gluten-free bread proves a clever move
- Britons go mushroom mad
- Gourmet popcorn rocks in Britain
- US: Jerky undergoes a makeover and renaissance as a healthy snack
- Virtual grocery stores launch in UK and US
- Who chews the most gum? British firm offers surprising answers
- US: Frozen foods need to turn a fresh page
- Ready for breakfast?
- 2012: the year that protein reaches its tipping point?
- Mintel: Products with low/no/reduced sodium claims on decline
- US: How 'Millennials' are changing food 'as we know it'
- US: Pouch packaging takes off for alcoholic drinks
- Meat snacks – a US favourite going global?
- Naturalness is a key consideration for industry
- Young men's attitudes toward health and wellness
- South Africans are cautious, price sensitive grocery shoppers
- US: Supermarket perimeters take centre stage
- Healthy and natural steer soft drinks to success
- Consumer trend in self-diagnosis: The gluten-free conundrum